Plan Your Trip, Avoid the Crowds, and Experience the Real Japan
From the world's busiest intersection to the most serene hot springs, modernity and tradition mingle in Japan. Experience the natural wonder and rich culture of a country unlike any other with Moon Japan. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible itineraries including a two week 'Best of Japan' and a week in and around Tokyo
- The top sights and unique experiences: Wander the shrines and temples of Ueno-koen park and stop in Tokyo National Museum for world-renowned Japanese art. Learn about samurai heritage in Sanmachi Suji or zazen meditation at the Buddhist temples of Kyoto, and get an unforgettable lesson in 20th century history at Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park
- Outdoor adventures: Hike the trails of Mt. Fuji or the river-filled valley of Kamikochi and relax in a communal onsen hot spring. Ski or snowboard at a world-class resort, surf in the Pacific off the coast of Shikoku, or dive along the coral reefs of Okinawa
- The best local flavors: Feast on ramen or an elaborate spread of sushi, sample fresh seafood at the world's largest fish market in Tokyo, and drink your way through the famed beer scene in Sapporo
- Honest insight from American expat and longtime Tokyo local Jonathan DeHart
- Full-color, vibrant photos throughout
- Detailed maps and useful tips for navigating public transportation
- Focused coverage of Tokyo, Mt. Fuji, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Kansai, Hiroshima and Miyajima, Okinawa, Tohoku and Hokkaido, Shikoku and Kyushu, and more
- Helpful resources on Covid-19 and traveling to Japan
- Thorough background information on the landscape, wildlife, history, government, and culture
- Handy tools including health and safety tips, customs and conduct, and information for LGBTQ, female, and senior travelers, as well as families and travelers with disabilities
Just exploring the major cities? Check out Moon Tokyo, Kyoto & Hiroshima.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.