The Unique States of America
From the tiny gold-rush town of Chicken, Alaska to Las Vegas' dazzling Neon Museum and Maryland's famous blue crab, Lonely Planet's Unique States of America takes you on a journey across the 50 states to discover the country's most iconic - and unique - destinations and experiences.
Travel off the beaten path and into the heart of each state with our expert itineraries exploring some of the USA's finest art and culture, food and drink, history, sports, and family-friendly places. Get fascinating insights into unmissable sights, attractions, parks and more with Lonely Planet's expert commentary and stunning photography.
From roadside attractions to world-class museums, you'll discover pockets of nature on the crowded Northeast corridor, mural installations in Fort Worth, Arkansas, beckoning waters in Voyageurs National Park, Minnesota, and lots more.
- Follow the Blue Ridge Parkway from Shenandoah National Park to the Great Smoky Mountains
- Chase the ghost of Ernest Hemingway through the tropical island city of Key West, Florida
- Witness the picturesque charms of New Hampshire's seemingly endless covered bridges
- Make an architecture pilgrimage to Frank Lloyd Wright's Price Tower in Oklahoma or Martin House in Buffalo
- Explore Marfa, Texas and Tippet Rise Art Center, Montana on a cross-country artistic odyssey
- Track the course of Lewis and Clark, or travel back to the days of the Thirteen Colonies
- Relish the Americana-overdose of Gatlinburg and Dollywood in Tennessee
- Catch a wave in Hawaii, don a Derby hat in Kentucky, or hit the slopes in the Rockies
After a day's exploring, we tell you all about each state's most iconic eats, from Kansas City barbecue to Chicago deep dish pizza and some good old gooey butter cake in St Louis. Not to mention the new outgrowth of vineyards, distilleries, breweries and coffee roasters to quench the thirst of every traveller.
About Lonely Planet: Lonely Planet is a leading travel media company and the world's number one travel guidebook brand, providing both inspiring and trustworthy information for every kind of traveller since 1973. Over the past four decades, we've printed over 145 million guidebooks and grown a dedicated, passionate global community of travellers. You'll also find our content online, on mobile, video and in 14 languages, 12 international magazines, armchair and lifestyle books, ebooks, and more.
Important Notice: The digital edition of this book may not contain all of the images found in the physical edition.